Since the first explorers gazed in wonder at its shores in 1513, the Pacific coastline has captured the imaginations of romantics, dreamers, and adventurers from all over the country. Tucked away along 7,623 miles of natural splendor, cozy inns, full-service hotels, rustic lodges, and lavish resorts are ready to cater to your every need on your next romantic getaway.
According to Visit Seattle, Washington is rich with romantic retreats. "There are great outdoor day trips and getaways within a stone's throw to Seattle. To the southeast, you can go to Mt. Rainier National Park. To the west, the Olympic National Forest. To the northeast, the North Cascades. A little closer by, drive over to Snoqualmie Falls and North Bend, the setting of the cult classic 'Twin Peaks'."
Notable places to stay for a romantic getaway on the coast in Washington include the following:
- Paradise Inn: Located at the foot of stunning Mount Rainier, this inn harkens back to another time. With no televisions, telephones, or internet in the rooms, guests are encouraged to focus on each other and forget about worldly distractions for a few days.
- The Willows Inn: Situated on Lummi Island, this inn invites guests to do as little or as much as they want. Island activities include kayaking, hiking, boating, crabbing, and whale watching. Award-winning head chef Blaine Wetzel serves guests delicious local cuisine.
- Sleeping Lady: Tucked into the Leavenworth and Wenatchee Valley, this mountain resort is surrounded by some of the most scenic views in the Pacific Northwest. Wine tastings, shopping, art shows, fine dining, and outdoor activities are all available. If you and your partner prefer to simply relax, the resort offers a dry sauna, yoga, and meditation garden.
Oregon offers its fair share of scenic coastline for couples seeking romance. Ideal getaways for two include the following:
- Hallmark Resort & Spa – Cannon Beach: Located near Haystack Rock, the largest sea stack on the Pacific coast, Cannon Beach was once named "Most Beautiful Place in the World" by National Geographic. The resort offers access to wine tastings, art galleries, a heated pool, and its own full-service spa. Guestrooms feature gas fireplaces, in-room spa tubs, and kitchenettes.
- Inn at Cape Kiwanda: Situated along the coast of Pacific City, this inn looks like a living postcard. Pounding waves serve as the backdrop for birdwatching, hiking, fishing, surfing, cycling, or simply snuggling with someone special.
- Elizabeth Street Inn: Within walking distance of historic Nye Beach, Oregon Coast Aquarium, and Newport Performing Arts Center, this Newport inn is the definition of quaint. Situated on a breathtaking bluff overlooking the Oregon coast, it offers the perfect setting for romance.
Famous around the world for its beaches, California attracts a lot of visitors. Join the fun at one of these romantic attractions:
- Inn at Schoolhouse Creek & Spa: Located in Little River, this inn offers cottages and rooms designed to take full advantage of the seaside view. Definitely not cookie cutter accommodations, the cabins range from rustic to elegantly modern, with each one displaying its own distinct flavor. Enjoy beautiful gardens and stunning sunsets with your partner.
- Seal Cove Inn: Located a short 30-minute drive from San Francisco in Half Moon Bay, this romantic hideaway sits on a bluff above the Pacific nestled within a grove of cypress trees. It's the only hotel in Half Moon Bay with staircase access directly to the beach. Spend a day exploring San Francisco's Pier 39, or spend every day simply digging your toes into the sand and relaxing.
- Hotel Del Coronado: History buffs could become lost in the living history at this hotel. Built in 1888, this seaside resort has hosted U.S. presidents, dignitaries, celebrities, and historians from all over the world. Step back in time as you ascend the dramatic staircase in the hotel lobby and gaze in awe at the gilded splendor of the grand ballroom. After a day exploring downtown San Diego, relax on the outdoor terrace with your partner and some cool drinks.
Do you have tips for planning an ideal romantic getaway? Share them on our Facebook page.