Driving for Lyft is a flexible way to earn money – you get to set your own hours, meet interesting people, and be your own boss. What’s not to like? Getting started is quick and easy, but there’s one requirement that might seem like a big hurdle for protentional drivers: having a car. Not only do you need a car, but it also needs to meet Lyft standards, be insured, and you need to be willing to pay for the wear, tear, and upkeep that comes with frequent driving. If any of those reasons are stopping you from considering a side hustle (or full-time hustle) with Lyft, consider joining Express Drive so you can rent a car with Hertz. Here’s how you can make it happen with Lyft and Hertz.
What You Get with a Hertz Rental for Lyft
With your Hertz rental for Lyft, you don’t just get the car. You get unlimited miles, insurance, and more to make earning on the road even easier.
- No long-term contract. You rent the car for seven days at a time and can extend the rental at any time.
- Standard maintenance is always included. Every 28 days, you’re required to return your rental for a full inspection.
- Unlimited miles for driving with Lyft and personal use.
- Hertz Loss Damage Waiver* included. No additional insurance is required to drive with Lyft. Read more about Hertz coverage.
- 24-hour, 365 days a year roadside assistance. Have a problem on the road? Take your car to the Hertz location where you picked up the rental or call Hertz Roadside Assistance: 1-800-654-5060.
How to Rent a Car for Lyft
Ready to get started with Express Drive? Follow these steps to get approved to drive and rent with Hertz.
Step 1: Apply
- If you’re new to Lyft, you’ll first need to apply to drive with Express Drive.
- Already a Lyft driver? Visit the “Vehicles” section of your Driver Dashboard to see if Express Drive is available in your city, and then select “Rent with Express Drive.”
Step 2: Rent
- Once you’re approved to drive with Express Drive, choose where and when to pick up your Hertz rental.
- You’ll need to pay a refundable security deposit or a non-refundable starter fee depending on your market.
Step 3: Earn
- Visit the Hertz location where you reserved your rental, and pick up your car.
- For easy payment, Lyft deducts rental costs from your earnings so it’s all in one place.
Step 4: Repeat
- The minimum rental length is seven days. You can return the car at the point or extend your rental from the Lyft app. No lease or long-term contracts are required.
Hertz and Lyft Driver Eligibility Requirements
Before you reserve a car with Express Drive, doublecheck that you meet these requirements.
- Approved to drive with Lyft
- In good standing with Hertz
- 25 years or older
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Have a valid credit or debit card
- Can pay a refundable deposit**
Did you answer yes to all of the above? You’ll be on your way to driving your Hertz rental car for Lyft in no time.
Available Hertz Locations for Lyft Drivers
The following cities currently offer Hertz locations where you can rent a car for Lyft Express Drive. You can browse pickup locations within your Lyft app to find the Hertz nearest you.
Salt Lake City
Ready to earn money with Lyft? Get started and reserve a car with Hertz.
*The Hertz Damage Waiver applies to damage to the vehicle itself in excess of $1,000 occurring while off-app or while on-app before accepting a request from a passenger. When off-app, Renter is responsible for any other liability incurred, subject to the minimum financial responsibility of Hertz. Lyft provides additional coverage for on-app driving. Hertz may not offer any additional protection products, including insurance products. Terms and Conditions apply to all protection and insurance products. Loss Damage Waiver terms can be found in the rental agreement, rental agreement addendum, and online.
**At the time of rental, an authorization hold will be secured on your debit card provided to cover the estimated amount of the rental charges and any additional charges that may be incurred. These funds will not be available for your use. When a debit card is accepted as form of payment, at the start of the rental, two (2) forms of identification must be presented. Prepaid or stored value cards issued under a VISA or MasterCard logo are not accepted to qualify for rental. Both debit cards and prepaid or stored value cards issued under a VISA or MasterCard logo may be used as a form of payment when the vehicle is returned.
The credit scoring process performed through the services of Equifax are very similar to the type of credit checks that are done when a person applies for credit. This credit check is done at the rental location when you arrive.